1. Have your own TV show that mentions your blog, or get it mentioned on air:
2. Write about things that matter to real people: like pets, gardening, weddings, DIY
3. Being a well known celebrity will help with interest in your blog; be famous
4. Have a team of experts and managers for your blog; delegation secret to success
5. Get advertising, like for example plugging a Cannon Camera, to help with costs
6. Get a link with other sites similar to yours so you can direct traffic to each other
7. Use WordPress for your blog, as used by Martha.
The rest can be found on her blog here. In fairness Martha Stewart is the sort of celebrity that could get your parents blogging. Which may mean that your blog tries to sort out social justice and human rights issues when your mum asks for a link to her latest blog on cross stitching patterns for Christmas.
Freedom of expression – it does have a price 🙂